More than two million people visit Cancun, Mexico each year. It's easy to see why. The resort town, located along the Caribbean Sea on the Yucatan Peninsula, offers beautiful beaches, sparkling water and a plethora of things to see and do.
What to see and do in Cancun
1. Relax on the beach. One of the best things about visiting Cancun is the number of beaches in the area. There are dramatic Caribbean beaches and more peaceful beaches along the lagoon. If you want to get away from the resort crowd for a day, head to Playa Delfines, located about 15 minutes south of the resort area. This uncrowded stretch of white sand is one of the most walkable beaches in the region, according to "US News and World Report" magazine.
2. Swim with the dolphins. Swimming with the dolphins is another must-do activity when you visit Cancun. One of the best places to do this is at the Dreams Cancun Hotel in the Resort Zone. The dolphin program there features five different encounters, everything from a one-hour swim with the dolphins to a chance to work with a dolphin trainer for a half day.
3. Escape to Isla Mujeres. The long, narrow "Island of Women" is located just north of Cancun and features excellent snorkeling and diving opportunities along the island's coral reefs, abundant waterfront seafood restaurants and, of course, Mayan ruins to explore. You can reach the island via ferry from Cancun.
4. Play a round at the Pok-ta-Pok Golf Club. This 18-hole golf course, designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr., is located in the resort district on land that once was home to the Mayans. Among the other more customary hazard on this course, are a few Mayan ruins you'll want to aim around.
5. Visit Tulum. Located about two hours away from the resort area of Cancun along the Caribbean Sea, Tulum features what remains of the walled Mayan city that thrived there during the 13th and 14th centuries.
Cancun International Airport is located 30 minutes outside of the resort area. Some hotels offer complimentary transportation as part of their hotel packages. There are also a number of Cancun shuttle companies that will take you directly from the baggage claim area to your hotel's front door. Most of these are less expensive than taxis. Plus, with a shuttle, you know exactly what you'll be paying before you leave the airport.